THURSDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2013
PARTLY TO MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES AND CHILLY TEMPERATURES TODAY
INCREASING CLOUDS WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN TONIGHT
MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH RAIN LIKELY TOMORROW WITH CLEARING SKIES FOR LATE SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
Partly cloudy and chilly today, becoming mostly cloudy late this afternoon. High temperatures will be in the mid-50's. Expect northeast winds at 10-20 mph. It will be mostly cloudy and chilly tonight with a 20% chance of showers after midnight. Overnight lows will range from the upper-40's in Galveston to the mid-40's on the mainland. Winds will be from the northeast at 10-15 mph. Friday should bring cloudy cloudy skies and milder temperatures with a 40% chance of rain early, increasing to a 70% chance later in the day. High temperatures will be in the mid-60's. Expect southeast winds at 10-15 mph. Saturday, we can expect mostly cloudy skies and a 30% chance of rain early, becoming partly cloudy and cooler later in the day, Expect northwest winds at 10-20 mph. High temperatures will be in the low-60's.
A reinforcing push of colder air will keep chilly temperatures around today. Meanwhile, clouds will increase later today and tonight as an upper-level low and trough bring a threat of rain to the area tomorrow. This morning's weather map shows a large high pressure center over southern Illinois and Oklahoma ridging west-southwest into Texas. To the south, a mostly stationary cold front extends northeast from the southwest Gulf of Mexico across southern Florida to the adjacent Atlantic. To our west, a stationary front extends north from West Texas across the Plains to a low in western Minnesota and then extends westward across the Dakotas to Canada. High pressure dominates the Rockies and eastern Great Basin region. The upper-level map shows a broad low pressure trough digging south-southwest over the Great Lakes and the Mississippi Valley. Further west, a large high pressure ridge is building over the western third of the country, while an upper-level low is moving into southern California and Baja California. Looking ahead, chilly temperatures will linger today with increasing clouds, rain and milder conditions on Friday as the upper-level low to our west tracks to the east. This will be accompanied by slightly milder temperatures ahead of a weak cold front expected to reach the coast late Saturday. This second push of cold air will keep temperatures seasonably cool as we head into next week.
TROPICAL OUTLOOK: The Tropical Atlantic Basin is quiet and tropical cyclone development not expected over the coming 48-hours.